[announce] NYC*BUG unHoliday Meeting, Upcoming

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Tue Nov 27 09:34:39 EST 2012

* December 5: unHoliday Meeting: Be a Grinch about Your Tech Gripe

* January 4: How SMPng Works and Why It Doesn't Work The Way You Think,
John Baldwin http://www.nycbug.org/?action=home&id=10327

* ARM and BeagleBones: Upcoming Order and Hackfest

***

December 5 2012 @ 18:45 - Location: Suspenders
http://www.nycbug.org/?action=locations#suspenders

unHoliday Meeting: Be a Grinch about Your Tech Gripe, Various

For the past several years, our holiday party has been filled with the
notion of giving back to the community: your tips, your hacks, your
thoughts.

So many people have proved selfless and assisted others that we feel
it's time for a change. Let's be honest, we need a time to vent, and
there's no reason the holiday season should be immune.

What are your gripes in technology? What do you hate dealing with at
your job? Is it some high- (or low-) level scripting language? Some
clunky and un-Unix-like application? Dealing with an under-documented
and buggy non-BSD operating system?

Well, here's your chance to let others know how you feel. Prepare a ten
minute or so presentation, with maybe a slide or two, and make your
case. Be coherent and to-the-point, and maybe others will jump aboard
with your argument.

Ping admin@ with your idea, and we look forward to having a meeting
which let's us vent out very unholiday season gripes.  We have a few
interesting submissions, and have space for a few more, so contact us as
soon as possible.

***

A number of people ordered BeagleBone ARM boards at a discounted rate.
We *may* make another order.  The FreeBSD build is operational although
not quite production-ready, while work is continuing from NetBSD, and we
know of at least one person (in NYC*BUG) may be starting on an OpenBSD
porting.

If *interested* in ordering a BeagleBone at the discounted rate, please
ping admin at .  But to actually get an order in, it will be necessary to
pre-pay for the board when a time/date/place is specified.

Let's open a discussion about what type of meeting to have on ARM.  A
basic walk-through with Tim Kientzle's github repository from
https://github.com/kientzle/freebsd-beaglebone ?

A grab-bag of implementation possibilities by a few different people?

The more people we have in NYC*BUG hacking on ARM, the better meeting(s)
we can have.