[announce] NYC*BUG Tomorrow: MIPS Loongson on OpenBSD

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Tue Apr 2 11:11:47 EDT 2013

April 3 @ 6:45 - Location: Suspenders

MIPS on OpenBSD, Brian Callahan

Everyone knows the BSDs provide a stable, feature-rich Operating System
for the big name and "in the news" CPUs. What you may not know is that
you can expect an equally excellent experience on the lesser-known CPUs.

This talk will provide an in-depth look at the Loongson CPU, a mips64el
CPU, on OpenBSD. We'll explore its history on OpenBSD and its support
for third-party software through OpenBSD's excellent ports system. We'll
examine the unique challenges that come with ports and packages on
lesser-used CPUs. Finally, we'll discuss the future of MIPS support,
including embedded MIPS.

About the speaker:

Brian is a graduate student at Monmouth University studying
Anthropology. He is an OpenBSD developer, working primarily on mips64el
(Loongson) ports.