[announce] NYC*BUG Tonight: Postgresql + ZFS on FreeBSD

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Wed Sep 4 10:24:43 EDT 2013

*  Today and Upcoming Meetings

*  Planning for NYC*BSDCon in February

*  vBSDCon 2013

*******************

September 4, 645 PM
Suspenders Bar at 111 Broadway in Manhattan

PostgreSQL + ZFS on FreeBSD, Andrew Wong

A quick introduction to the installation, configuration of Postgres on
FreeBSD and ZFS with a demo of using CitiBike data collected every
minute since May 28, 2013.

The talk will cover:

    Postgres installation - "Where do I get this magical database?!"
    Initialization - "How do I get this running?!"
    Quick and hassle-free optimizations - "What can I do to make this
faster?!"

After the talk there will be time for questions pertaining to the
content covered and some anecdotes about running similar systems in
production.

About the speaker:

Andrew Wong, Sofware Engineer for AppNexus, previous worked at Viggle (
http://www.viggle.com ) and Gilt Groupe ( http://www.gilt.com ) in NYC.
The last three years I've worked on designing and implementing Data
Warehouse loops with an emphasis on data freshness. Currently working on
the data delivery system for Real-Time Bidding (RTB) and
optimizing/rationalizing databases. Still in search of why Ike thinks
man sections 1-7 are a waste of space.

Other upcoming meetings:

Oct 2: A Year after Sandy, a view from the data center
Nov 6: Regex
Dec 4: Holiday Meeting

*******************

We are having a planning meeting on Monday, September 9 at 645 PM for a
new approach to NYCBSDCon.

Day events are easier to organize and can be conducted more frequently.
 And they also allow us to focus on a particular theme.

Join in the discussion, and let's get NYCBSDCon back on the map.

vBSDCon is happening October 25-27 in Dulles, Virginia.  Run by
Verisign, this is the first vBSDCon.

https://www.verisigninc.com/en_US/news-events/global-events/vbsdcon/index.xhtml

Registration is open, and the schedule is posted.

If you are planning on attending, feel free to use the talk@ list for
coordinating travel plans.