[announce] NYC*BUG Upcoming

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Sun Jan 18 19:48:27 EST 2015

There's a number of exciting upcoming events happening.

First, Digital Ocean now provides FreeBSD support.  The developer was at
the meeting this past Wednesday, and he'll be speaking with GNN@ about
its launch.

http://www.meetup.com/DigitalOcean_Community/events/219651453/

******

The February meeting will be on the 10th, the second Tuesday of the
month, back at Stone Creek.  The location worked out well for Eric
Radman's meeting, and we look forward to continuing to conducting
meetings there.

The meeting will be Ike (.ike) Levy on "Life with an OpenBSD Laptop: a
UNIX-lover's tale of migrating away from the Mac"

== Abstract ==

Have you ever been OpenBSD-curious?

"OpenBSD is thought of by many security professionals as the most secure
UNIX-like operating system, as the result of a never-ending
comprehensive source code security audit."  Yet, whether OpenBSD is
right for you is a question that only you can answer.

I'll share my practical experiences transitioning from Mac life to
OpenBSD- the good, bad, and the ugly.  For over 15 years, Mac OSX was
"the computer I physically touch".  I build infrastructure, and the
computers I care about most, I rarely physically touch- servers on the
internet.

These servers provide me the leading edge of computer security,
networking, cryptography, filesystems- all from Open and auditable
codebases...

I decided I'd had enough with my laptop being the ironic weakest link in
my digital ecosystem.

Forget religious debates about Operating Systems- I simply set out to
build an Open Source, Stable, Secureable, and full-featured laptop.  And
I was delighted that id doesn't suck to use!

== Bio ==

Isaac (.ike) Levy is a crusty UNIX Hacker.

A long-time community contributor to the *BSD's, ike is obsessed with
high-availability and redundant networked servers systems, mostly
because he likes to sleep at night. Standing on the shoulders of giants,
his background includes partnering to run a Virtual Server ISP before
anyone called it a cloud, as well as having a long history building
internet-facing infrastructure with UNIX systems.

.ike has been a part of NYC*BUG since it was first launched in January
2004. He was a long-time member of the Lower East Side Mac Unix User
Group, and is still in denial that his group no longer exists. He has
spoken frequently on a number of UNIX and internet security topics at
various venues, particularly on the topic of FreeBSD's jail(8).

******

We have another special meeting planned for March 4, back to the first
Wednesday of the month.

GNN@, one of the three authors of "The Design and Implementation of the
FreeBSD Operating System," now in its second edition, will be speaking.
 Prentice Hall, the publisher, will be sponsoring the meeting, and the
editor will also be speaking.

It should be an exciting and packed meeting, and we *may* have to resort
to RSVPs for the event.  Stay tuned...