[announce] NYC*BUG Upcoming for Feb & Mar

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Thu Jan 22 10:38:00 EST 2015

Just a quick note about the next two upcoming NYC*BUG meetings set for
February 10 (a Tuesday) and March 4 (back to the first Wednesday).

This year we want a bigger NYC crowd at BSDCan than usual. It's one of
the premier BSDCons, and a great opportunity to meet developers and
users from around the globe. Face-to-face beats IRC/svn/git/cvs/email
interactions any day of the week!  Save the dates: June 12-14th.

******

TUESDAY, Feb 10
Life with an OpenBSD Laptop, Isaac (.ike) Levy
18:45, Stone Creek Bar & Lounge: 140 E 27th St just east of Lexington
No RSVPs!

Have you ever been OpenBSD-curious?

"OpenBSD is thought of by many security professionals as the most secure
UNIX-like operating system, as the result of a never-ending
comprehensive source code security audit." Yet, whether OpenBSD is right
for you is a question that only you can answer.

I'll share my practical experiences transitioning from Mac life to
OpenBSD- the good, bad, and the ugly. For over 15 years, Mac OSX was
"the computer I physically touch". I build infrastructure, and the
computers I care about most, I rarely physically touch- servers on the
internet. These servers provide me the leading edge of computer
security, networking, cryptography, filesystems- all from Open and
auditable codebases...

I decided I'd had enough with my laptop being the ironic weakest link in
my digital ecosystem.

Forget religious debates about Operating Systems- I simply set out to
build an Open Source, Stable, Securable, and full-featured laptop. And I
was delighted that it doesn't suck to use!

Speaker Bio

Isaac (.ike) Levy is a crusty UNIX Hacker.

A long-time community contributor to the *BSD's, ike is obsessed with
high-availability and redundant networked servers systems, mostly
because he likes to sleep at night. Standing on the shoulders of giants,
his background includes partnering to run a Virtual Server ISP before
anyone called it a cloud, as well as having a long history building
internet-facing infrastructure with UNIX systems.

.ike has been a part of NYC*BUG since it was first launched in January
2004. He was a long-time member of the Lower East Side Mac Unix User
Group, and is still in denial that this group no longer exists. He has
spoken frequently on a number of UNIX and internet security topics at
various venues, particularly on the topic of FreeBSD's jail(8).

****

March 4, Wednesday, 645 PM
Stone Creek at 140 E 27th Street just east of Lexington Ave

This is a special book release meeting for "The Design and
Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System" featuring one of the
authors, George Neville-Neil.  They will likely also be a speaker from
Prentice Hall, the publisher.

Hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be provided, and copies of the book will
be available for sale, and for author signing.

NOTE that we might have to implement RSVPs for this meeting, as it will
certainly attract an even larger crowd than usual.