[announce] NYC*BUG May 6: John V on BitRig

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Mon May 4 00:03:09 EDT 2015

May 6 Bitrig, John C. Vernaleo
18:45, Stone Creek Bar & Lounge: 140 E 27th St

Abstract

Bitrig aims to be a free, fast, and secure Unix-like Open Source
operating system focusing on modern hardware platforms only. Bitrig is a
fork of OpenBSD and recently release version 1.0. I'll give a brief
description of what the current status of Bitrig is, where we hope it
fits in with the other BSDs, and why we think what we are doing is
worthwhile rather than just contributing to an existing OS. I'll give
some info on the current progress on Bitrig on ARM devices. Finally,
I'll try to explain what our current relationship to the OpenBSD
codebase is.

Speaker Bio

John is an astronomer by training who slowly moved from research to
writing code for other people's research to writing code for finance all
the way to writing code for startups (and finally to writing code for a
BSD). He is a relative latecomer to BSD having previously gone from
Solaris to Linux before becoming involved with Bitrig. He is still
waiting for the day when his FORTRAN programming skills come in handy again.

Other upcoming events.  Location is Stone Creek unless otherwise noted.

2015-06-03 - FreeBSD's NUMA, John Baldwin

BSDCan June 12-13 in Ottawa, Canada

2015-06-18 - mandoc: from scratch to the standard BSD documentation
toolkit in 6 years, Ingo Schwarze (Location TBA)

2015-06-19 - Social event with Ingo Schwarze at Stone Creek

2015-07-01 - Staying in sync with the Precision Time Protocol, Steven
Kreuzer

2015-08-05 - What's New with OpenBSD, Brian Callahan

vBSDCon September 11-12 in Reston, Virginia

EuroBSDCon October 1-2 in Stockholm, Sweden