[announce] NYC*BUG: Jan 3 on OpenBSD Porting and more

NYC*BUG Announcements announce at lists.nycbug.org
Fri Dec 29 10:20:00 EST 2017

Upcoming NYC*BUG meetings plus Bryan Cantril speaking at Jane Street Jan
18. There is a February 7 meeting sorted out about Reproducible Builds,
but is not yet posted on the web site.

The CFP for BSDCan 2018 is open.

*****

Wednesday, January 3
OpenBSD Porting Workshop. Learn how to make ports!, Brian Callahan
18:45, LMHQ, 150 Broadway, 20th Floor, Manhattan

Writing ports is a crucial aspect of *BSD development. There is a lot of
software out in the world, and ports and packages make all our lives
much easier. All the non-base software you use passed through the
fingers of a porter.

Making your own ports is an easy and fun way to make your first
contributions to a *BSD project. Is there some piece of software you
just can't live without? Do you have some software of your own that you
would like to have readily available to *BSD users? Just interested in
learning about ports and package management? This is the workshop for
you! No experience necessary to participate. All set up, including an
OpenBSD virtual machine, will be available for participants.

We will be creating our own first ports for the OpenBSD project. This
workshop will be a step-by-step from identifying the software you want
to port through and including the final port ready for submission. By
the end of the workshop, you will have submitted a new port to the
OpenBSD ports@ mailing list!

Speaker Bio

Brian is a Ph.D. Candidate in the Department of Science & Technology
Studies at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY.

He is an OpenBSD developer, mostly working on ports.

*****

We generally do not post non-NYC*BUG/BSD events, but we'll make an
exception for this

Jan 18, 2018

The Hurricane's Butterfly: Debugging Pathologically Performing Systems
Speaker: Bryan Cantrill
18:15, Downtown Manhattan

Abstract

Despite significant advances in tooling over the past two decades,
performance debugging—finding and rectifying those limiters to systems
performance—remains a singular challenge in our production systems. This
challenge persists in part because of a butterfly effect in complicated
systems: small but ill-behaving components can have an outsized effect
on the performance of a system in aggregate.

This talk will explore this challenge, including why simple problems can
cause non-linear performance effects, how they can remain so elusive and
what we can do to better debug them.

Registration

As space is limited and building security requires visitor registration,
please register for this talk here.
(https://goo.gl/forms/uL3ME5T1UfGiexG22) We'll send you full location
details when you register.

https://www.janestreet.com/tech-talks/hurricanes-butterfly/

Speaker bio

Bryan Cantrill is CTO at Joyent, where since 2010 he has had
responsibility for Joyent's SmartOS, Triton and Manta technologies.
Previously a Distinguished Engineer at Sun Microsystems, Bryan led the
team that designed and implemented DTrace, a facility for dynamic
instrumentation of production systems that won the Wall Street Journal’s
top Technology Innovation Award in 2006. He received
the ScB magna cum laude with honors in Computer Science from Brown
University.