[CDBUG-talk] An idea of mine.

Jonathan Franks jfranks214 at taconic.net
Tue Jan 4 19:50:43 EST 2005

Hi all,

Well the conversation has been a bit slow up to this point but I suppose
new lists are like that. Anyhow, I've been mulling over an idea lately
and I figured I'd throw it out to you folks to see what you think.

Firstly, my laptop seems to get extraordinary battery life under FreeBSD
as compared to Windows. This is what started the thought process.

You see, I have 54 Dell Lattitudes split between two elementary schools
in the district. They are used heavily, and we have constant battery
life issues. Essentially, the schedule just doesn't give them much of a
break during the day. We could certainly buy more batteries and double
up, but they're expensive.

So I was sitting in the library the other day working on my laptop, when
I realized that I'd been using it for about four and a half hours and it
was still going. I'd been using rdesktop to do some administrative work
in Active Directory. Then I glanced over at the thin clients.....

So here it is. Do you think that I could significantly extend the
battery life on the Lattitudes if I were to load them with a small
FreeBSD load, and use rdesktop to basically turn them in to mobile thin
clients? In order for it to work, it would need to be as transparent as
possible. In other words, I'd need to set them to automatically connect
to the terminal server on power up, and devise a way to ensure that
third graders could easily shut them down cleanly every time. (Perhaps
mapping this to the power button?) .

So am I crazy?

-Jonathan