[CDBUG-talk] Burning CD's on OpenBSD

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 22:45:47 EDT 2005

Hi all.

Okay so I've been experimenting with OpenBSD for a couple of weeks
now. I'm using 3.6 because I bought the CD set, and right now I don't
have the cash to buy 3.7. (soon...) So far it's going well, but I am
having some trouble coming up with a solution to burning CD's. I added
the cdrtools package and from what I'm reading, cdrecord should do the
trick, but I'm clearly missing something. (Under FreeBSD I always used
burncd for ATAPI drives).

According to the cdrecord documentation, it does support ATAPI drives.
I believe this. I can not, however, for the life of me get it to work.
I spent all afternoon reading the documentation and trying various
approaches, but to no avail.

Here's some info... I'll gladly provide more as needed:

My CD drive is cd0a ... or at least /dev/cd0a works fine when mounting CD's

I've tried:

cdrecord dev=/dev/cd0a cd37.iso
cdrecord -scanbus
cdrecord dev=/dev/cd0a -scanbus
cdrecord dev=0,0,0 -scanbus   ( due to a line in dmesg that I don't
have handy right now)

and a couple of other combo's of the above.

I did these as myself , suid root, and root with identical results.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Is
anyone in the group using cdrecord successfully with an ATAPI drive on
Open?

Any help would be great.

In any event I'm enjoying working with OpenBSD otherwise. Although
I've run in to some unexpected differences from FreeBSD, for the most
part it's been a smooth transition.

In any event any help on this will be appreciated....

-Jonathan