[CDBUG-talk] mount_smbfs question

Steve Moon steve.moon at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 20:40:38 EST 2005

There seem to be four possible sources for the problem:
Routing
Name Resolution
Active Directory/Kerberos/etc. shennanigans
Active IP on a multi-homed host

The most obvious and the one I've had the most trouble with is name
resolution between subnets.  Have you tried adding an lmhosts file on
your freebsd box? If you're running 'pure' active directory (no NT or
win95 systems) then everything *should* work OK with just DNS.
Otherwise you'll have a master browser on each subnet and all sorts of
fun trying to get everything working.

Another problem I've run into is a windows host that has, say, 3 IP's
on one interface (useful for hosting several web sites). In this case,
you can only map to the primary IP address (the one that shows up
first in the networking box w/out going into the advanced tab that
lets you assign multiple addresses).

Routing seems to be a non-starter since you've tested connectivity in
general. I can't speak to the whole active directory thing.

One other resource is the samba faq which has a section discussing
this problem: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO.html#s12

good luck-
steve-