[CDBUG-talk] Multiple DHCP servers and DDNS with BIND

Jonathan Franks jonathan.franks at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 18:40:33 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm working on a project to deliver ddns to two subnets at different sites
connected via VPN over two Sonic Wall appliances. (pre-existing)

At the main site I have a server running OpenBSD 4.0 with ISC-DHCP
installed. The server is also running SAMBA and is acting as a domain
controller for the 20 or so windows clients in the network (at both sites).
At the main site ddns is working just fine. The trouble is that I have
installed a second, smaller OpenBSD server at the remote site, also running
ISC-DHCP. I copied the dhcpd.conf file from the main server and simply
changed the scope to match the local subnet at the remote site. The updates
are authenticated using an MD5 key, and so I had assumed that it would "just
work" but I was apparently mistaken.

The remote DHCP works fine so far as DHCP is concerned, however the zone
updates are failing.

On the remote DHCP server the logs indicate "No such RRset"

and on the primary server two errors show up again and again in the logs :

Mar 11 18:39:06 cpt named[14165]: client 192.168.2.50#19866: updating zone '
foo.com/IN': update unsuccessful: barb.foo.com: 'name not in use'
prerequisite not satisfied (YXDOMAIN)

Mar 11 18:39:06 cpt named[14165]: client 192.168.2.50#35768: updating zone '
foo.com/IN': update unsuccessful: barb.foo.com/TXT: 'RRset exists (value
dependent)' prerequisite not satisfied (NXRRSET)

So, I'm confused. I have tried deleting the records from both the forward
and reverse zones for the workstation, and the results are the same. Google
yields results, but so far everything deals with a single dhcp server, and
my BIND info doesn't seem to address such a scenario. I am assuming that it
is possible to have more than one DHCP server updating a zone, though I
suppose I could be wrong about this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, as I have been working on this on and off
for some time with little success and it's getting a bit frustrating.

Thanks!

-Jonathan