[CDBUG-talk] NAS hardware - MaxAttach 3000

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Sun Feb 10 19:50:52 EST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 5:26 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> uname -mrs shows: FreeBSD 2.05.3075.17 i386

	Try uname -a.  However, if it is really running FreeBSD 2.0.x, that
is freaking old.  I started with 2.2.x in 1997.  Its up to 6 for the
stable branch and 7 for the soon-to-be-stable branch.

> 1) One of the web interface management pages requires an old version
> of Java (1.42 or older) and will not run on IE7. I'm using an old
> Win2000 box with IE6 and MS-Java to change drive shares and
> security...

	Oh that one is easy.  Don't use Windows.  :)

> What's the possibility to load something more modern on this, rather
> than patching an older OS?

	Updating FreeBSD is actually pretty easy over minor versions and even
over a single major version.  I imagine that going from 2.0 to even
5.0 would be filled with risks, though.

> Here's some hw info from the box (it does support telnet - w00t!)

	Probably SSH, too.  Check in /etc or ps auxww| grep ssh for some
mention of it.

> # dmesg | grep CPU
> CPU: Pentium/P55C (quarter-micron) (267.27-MHz 586-class CPU)
> # dmesg | grep memory
> real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
> avail memory = 29859840 (29160K bytes)

	Dude....  32MB and you're asking about putting something "more
modern" on it?  Nice try.  I think that you're going to have to stick
with one of those "bare metal" style OSes, like FreeBSD or Slackware.
Fortunately, even the current stable release of FreeBSD can handle
that little RAM.  It won't win any races, but it will work.

http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.3R/installation-i386.html

	Whatever you try to do with it, good luck.