[CDBUG-talk] NAS hardware - MaxAttach 3000

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Fri Feb 15 12:24:17 EST 2008

On Feb 10, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> granite# uname -a
> FreeBSD granite. 2.05.3075.17 FreeBSD 2.05.3075.17 #2: Thu Nov  1
> 15:23:58
> PST 2001     root at host26.nsgdev.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/
> GRANITE.DEBUG  i386

	Wow...  A custom kernel that was compiled in 2001 for an OS version
that was out of date in 1997.  I'm not sure what advice to give.

> Would it be worth it (read: fairly easy i.e. inplace upgrade) to
> bring it up
> to 3.x?

	Actually, back then it would have been 2.0 to 2.1, then 2.1 to 2.2.
THEN 3.0, 4.0, etc.

	3.0 introduced some significant changes.  When I had a decade less
experience than I do today, I tried a 2.2.x to 3.0 update and
permanently killed the OS.  If you follow the directions in /usr/src/
UPDATING very carefully, you might do better than I did, but I
wouldn't count on it.

	It *might* be worthwhile to go to 2.1 and then 2.2 and then 2.2-
STABLE (which would be the most current source code in that branch),
but I wouldn't risk it.  Who knows what customizations they put in and
what you'd break....

> Correct, and by more modern, I was referring to the version of
> FreeBSD.
> Rather than trying to figure out what the original dev team did to
> support
> this HW and patching the flaws, I was figuring that it may be faster
> start with a more up-to-date version of the OS. Unless somebody has
> a 128
> Meg SODIMM (PC100 probably) collecting dust, I guess I'd be stuck at
> 32
> Megs.

	I *MIGHT* have a PC100 stick around here somewhere.  No idea of the
size, though.

>> Fortunately, even the current stable release of FreeBSD can
>> handle that little RAM.  It won't win any races, but it will work.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/6.3R/installation-i386.html
>
> I dare say if it could be done, it would work better than it does now.
>
> I think the OS and swap partitions are 32 Megs and 10 Megs, I'm
> figuring
> that would have to change. /bin has about 24 files in it, and /etc
> has about
> 60, so it's stripped down pretty far. What would a stripped down
> version of
> 6.3 require?

	I'm not sure.  My advice, if you're going to try this at all, would
be to use dd to backup the existing system in case you want to revert
it.  Then look at PicoBSD (a sub-project of FreeBSD not dissimilar to
Damn Small Linux minus the GUI and apps) for a minimal install.
Otherwise, put in something like RAM x 2 for swap and at least 200MB
on the OS.  That should give you a tiny bit of breathing room for
editing configs and possibly compiling OS upgrades.  Use a binary
install and only put in the base OS.  But I've never tried anything so
tight, myself.

							Good luck,
							Jaime