[CDBUG-talk] [Fwd: Re: Captive portal on different subnet?]

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Fri Jun 27 15:12:06 EDT 2008

On Jun 27, 2008, at 12:32 PM, Dave Del Debbio wrote:

> Recently I was investigating doing a transparent proxy with
> tinyproxy/dan's gardian or using squid.
>
> Does the list have an opinion of using netcat vs the two other
> solutions
> I mention above?  Is anyone using a different application at a
> school or
> for a client?

Well 2 different things Really.

With nocat and the like there is no requirement to proxy/cache the
traffic and no filtering per sea.

Basically the firewall denies all outbound from the IP(s) till they go
through the signup screen. Once they do so their IP is allowed to
access teh interwebs for some amount of time.

The proxy can be configured to require authentication, but I would say
that is normally for a different purpose.

-Patrick

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets