[CDBUG-talk] FreeBSD & 8GB RAM

Kevin McAleavey kevinmca1 at verizon.net
Wed Dec 30 03:51:47 EST 2009

 Apologies for the lengthy delay ... native 32 bit kernels can only see just under 4 GB natively, and I see that you have PAE enabled in the kernel which is permitting it to "see" your memory. However, controlling same is a different issue. Some CPU's do not properly support PAE and depend on the Microsoft kernel to "fake" it, and BSD 7's implementations (all) of PAE are buggy. If you check up on BSD7's PAE in the manual, you'll see that there are warnings about certain kernel drivers and hardware (NVidia for one) will put the kabosh to PAE's efforts by muddying the addresses.

 About all I can suggest trying is fiddling with the memory layout in your BIOS settings and see if one of them might make the kernel any happier. You might also give the BSD 8 release a shot - it's VERY good and quite stable. But beyond 4 GB is really the domain of the 64 bit realm as 32 bit addresses can only linearly reach to about 4GB before you run out of bits. Anything beyond that is voodoo and there's weak king fu at play there. Take heart in the fact that your kernel IS trying to do it, but you're suffering a Bronx handshake.  :)