[CDBUG-talk] What do you use?

Jaime jaime at snowmoon.com
Thu Apr 28 03:50:27 EDT 2011

Reading my recent message to the group, I started to wonder how people
use BSD.  Anyone care to exchange ideas?

I'll go first, since that is only fair.  :)

I used to have more servers running on FreeBSD, but these days I only
have a "gateway" system and a "server" system.  The gateway runs squid
and dansguardian for web filtering (federal law in a public school),
is a secondary DNS resolver for internal computers, and has some
firewall rules on it via IPFW.

The "server" (yes, they're all servers -- its the best way I could
describe it) runs a CMS for our web site, the wonderful dokiwiki,
Moodle, a few web apps, public DNS serving (secondary system with the
ISP being primary), Cacti for SNMP logging (helpful for finding
network abuse, printer abuse, and making manager-friendly graphs to
justify buying more bandwidth), Xymon and Nefu for network outage
alerts, and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.

I used to run email, DHCP, and Mac file serving off of FreeBSD
servers, too.  We ended up moving to Google Apps for email and a Mac
server for DHCP (so my coworker had a chance of understanding it).
The file serving ended up gradually moving off of the one FreeBSD
server to several Mac servers for load balancing and better
integration with MacOS X desktops and laptops.

If any of the above sounds like it could be interesting, I'd be happy
to explain further.

How do you guys use it?  I'd love to learn about ways to improve my setup.  :)

Jaime