[CDBUG-talk] Introduction and Questions

Stephan, Richard RStephan at nyiso.com
Thu Sep 6 09:34:13 EDT 2012

I have just joined the Capital District BSD Users Group mailing list.  I would like to introduce myself and ask a few questions.

Introduction:
I have been a computer professional for many years.  Most of my time I have spent working as an Oracle database administrator on VMS, Tru64, AIX, and Solaris.  Showing my age with DEC's (a company that hasn't existed since 1998) VMS and Tru64 OSes.

In 2005 I was introduced to PostgreSQL.  After researching and experimenting with it, I became a fan and advocate.  I started the Capital District's PostgreSQL Users Group (http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NYCDPUG) and even authored a few documents for the community:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_for_Oracle_DBAs
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Simple_Configuration_Recommendation
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Database_Schema_Recommendations_for_an_Application
Unfortunately, those of us attending the PUG meetings decided to disband due to lack of interest.

At home I run FreeBSD for my personal PostgreSQL and Tomcat servers.  ZFS may not be the highest performing file system, but its data integrity, snapshot, and integrated volume management features are very attractive to me.

Questions:
How active is the CDBUG?  Do you still meet?  If so, when and where?

Does anyone have a recommendation for commercial support for FreeBSD?  There are many listed on the FreeBSD website, but none stick out ... http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/

Thank You,
Richard
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged against disclosure other than to the intended recipient. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. Please immediately delete this message and inform the sender of this error.