[CDBUG-talk] FTP user for Wordpress Management

Patrick Muldoon doon at inoc.net
Wed Aug 17 12:52:43 EDT 2016

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 11:26 AM, freebsd at fongaboo.com wrote:
>

> I managed to create a user that is FTP-only and not chrooted (as far as ProFTPd is concerned).
>
> However when I try to do a plugin update from the Wordpress dashboard, it still fails. I've FTP'ed manually into the plugin directory corresponding to the plugin I'm trying to update and managed to edit a file in-place in that directory, so it would seem the permissions I've set are providing the expected results.
>
> But at this point I am not sure what is failing exactly and I'm not sure what I can monitor to find out. I've tried looking at /var/log/ftpdebug.log, but no matter what I seem to do, I only get entries pertaining to initial login.
>
> This is what the logging section of my proftpd.conf file looks like:
>
> Extendedlog     /var/log/ftpdebug.log   AUTH

You are telling proftpd to only log stuff related to auth, try removing AUTH or setting it to ALL. that should give you more info.

another option would be to run proftpd in the foreground.

proftpd -nd 5

is normally enough info to see what is going on. but you can go to 10 if you want :)

--
Patrick Muldoon
Network/Software Engineer

"shutdown -halt now" - The final word in network security tools.