[Semibug] June meeting minutes

Josh Grosse josh at jggimi.homeip.net
Thu Jun 23 13:03:59 EDT 2016

No, not really.  I didn't take notes, and my memory is faulty.
I'm sure that attendees will correct any egregious errors or
omissions.

-----

It was a small group that met on Tuesday evening at Altair Engineering.
The meeting began informally.  Our chairman graciously answered
questions
about BSDCan 2016, which had concluded last week.  He shared his
insights
into some of the more interesting technical, social, and cultural
activities
which took place at the conference.

We learned about the very unique, and quite rare, Canadian edition of
ZFS
Mastery, one of which was donated to the annual charity auction.  I
understand
that this year's auction resulted in more than $4500 collected, with the
largest single donation arising from the Henning Brauer Fashion Show.

We also did a deep technical dive into one small aspect of PAM,
presented
by our Chair at the conference.  It was far too technical for me,
because I
don't have any PAM experience, and I am still very fuzzy on how the
system
administrator is to integrate her knife-wielding, scuttling crab into
her
authentication and authorization infrastructure successfully without
losing
several of her favorite fingers.

-----

Our post-meeting soiree was held conveniently at Leo's, next door. The
main topic of discussion during this event was, "Restaurants We Have
Known
and Loved."  Key deliverables:

* Eating anywhere in Italy is simultaneously wonderful and
mass-enhancing.
   Our experiences there have all been similar.   Our Chair recommended
we
   consider John Pinette's experience, available here:

   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX00Tr7n3vY

* We learned that there is a gaping hole in Grosse Point Woods, by the
corners
   of Lochmoor and Mack.  Apparently, that is the place where a famous
Pancake
   House may have once stood, but as our Chair lives nearby the site, he
stated
   his opinion that the restaurant is not there.  This is to ensure he
can
   maintain self-control and willpower.

* The best BBQ in the area is Union Woodshop in Clarkston.  Bad Brads
   has some unique offerings, such as Pig Candy, which make it worthwhile
   visit also.

* Our Chair would prefer we would just stop talking about food,
especially
   when he is trying to maintain self-control and willpower.  Enough is
enough.

-----

Thank you.  I can report that the education obtained at this month's
meeting was
both interesting and motivational.  My son and I dined at the Union
Woodshop
last night.