[Semibug] ubiquiti edge-router Lite

Nick Holland nick at holland-consulting.net
Mon Dec 17 22:06:44 EST 2018

On 12/14/18 21:31, Mark Moellering wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I bought a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter-Lite and after many Trials and
> Tribulations [*operator error*] , I got openbsd on it and configured as
> a Firewall
>
> This is a replacing PC hardware, which I did to try and save a little
> electricity.

And power consumption is related to data moving and processing power.

> I have a question for folks, the speed seems slow.  When I run
> speedtest-cli, I don't see anything much over 150Mb.  This is over 1Gb
> Fiber, which I could usually see at least 500Mb from some servers.
>
> Trying to figure out if this is a hardware performance limit
> The fact that I am trying to run these tests at 9:00 p.m. EST
> A Configuration Issue.
> Or a combination of the above.
>
> Any suggestions are appreciated.

first of all, keep in mind HOW BLOOMIN' MUCH 1gb/s bandwidth is.  This
is not cheap bargain basement bandwidth here.  I used to work for an ISP
that had 1/5th that bandwidth in our total operations serving something
like 50,000 people in various ways...and you got that going to your
house.  And even though that was years ago, our firewalls could kick an
Edgerouter Lite's butt in almost every regard.

I'm actually rather amazed that a $100 box can do over 100mbps.

But ... while moving data, take a look at what the box is doing -- I'm
guessing you will see a high interrupt and system load.  And, as Mike
said, there may be some special hw to help pump packets on the thing
that OpenBSD doesn't utilize.

Nick.