[Semibug] SystemD is literally the kitchen sink of Linux ; Linux starting to feel more and more alien as the years go on

Jonathan Drews jondrews at fastmail.com
Wed Dec 6 19:25:04 EST 2023

On Wed, Dec 06, 2023 at 03:55:10PM -0800, Ron / BCLUG wrote:

> They've definitely contributed some really, *really* crucial stuff.
>
> But... OpenBSD installs vs Linux installs: 1 to a million? 1:10,000,000?
>
> Also, ignoring the install base ratio, think about the traffic by either
> volume or connections and ponder the ratio.

I had the same opinion that OpenBSD was not widely used until I was
corrected by a fellow SF-Lug member. He said OpenBSD has a large
presence in the San Francisco area. More importantly, he said that
OpenBSD is widely used in embedded systems.

See:
https://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article;sid=20040119142233

also Wikipedia's OpenBSD entry lists companies that use OpenBSD as a
firewall or other network appliance.

OpenBSD is not widely used as a desktop.