[Semibug] FreeDOS isn't too complex and supports networking

Ron / BCLUG admin at bclug.ca
Wed Dec 6 22:08:50 EST 2023

Kyle Willett wrote on 2023-12-06 14:34:

> I have to wonder how real world a problem :
> "As such, PIDs do not allow another process to maintain a private,
> stable reference on a process."
> is?
>
> If OpenBSD hasn't yet found a reason to address this how bad can it
> be?  They are normally the first OS to address each security issue.
> First to PIE, first with Kernel layout reordering at boot, etc.

Interesting item in a story about Facebook's new AI image generator:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/12/metas-new-ai-image-generator-was-trained-on-1-1-billion-instagram-and-facebook-photos/

 > as of 2016, Instagram users uploaded over 95 million photos a day

Ninety five *million* images *uploaded* per *day*.

In 2016. I bet they've grown since then.

Let's call it 100,000,000 images uploaded per day:

11,500 per *second*

Let's assume 1000 pages are loaded per image uploaded:

11,500,000 HTTP GETs per second.

Don't forget all the API calls to build a page: trending, your friends'
posts, profile info, auth requests, etc.  At least 10 API calls per page
load:

115,000,000 HTTP requests, *per second*.

Assuming minimal growth at Instagram since 2016.

That kind of scale can really make one-in-a-million situations happen
hundreds of times per second.

And, Instagram is Facebook's little sibling / child / whatever, so scale
that up 10 or 100 or 1000 fold for the entire org.

Things can get complicated pretty quickly, and I'm pretty sure my
numbers are very conservative, and I'm assuming Facebook / Instagram run
Linux.

Adding that Musk complained that Twitter did ">1000 poorly batched RPCs
just to render a home timeline!".

He probably meant API calls, and the engineer that pointed out that this
was wrong was fired for it, but 100 API calls per page seems entirely
possible.

All numbers pulled from my butt, except the Ars article.

rb