[nycbug-talk] New to BSD (dont know which one to get)

G. Rosamond george
Sun Apr 4 14:12:17 EDT 2004

________________________________

	From: talk-bounces at lists.nycbug.org
[mailto:talk-bounces at lists.nycbug.org] On Behalf Of Tilly
	Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 1:38 PM
	To: talk at lists.nycbug.org
	Subject: [nycbug-talk] New to BSD (dont know which one to get)

	Hello

	I have been using linux for about 2 years now and i have been
doing some research online but i am little confused on what BSD i should
use. I am looking for running a server and i have heard many thing about
Freebsd.

	Thanks for the Help
	Tilly

Greetings Tilly and welcome to NYCBUG.

Generally, FreeBSD is considered the easiest install, and it's getting
easier and more configurable with each release through the install
process.

I assume you're running Intel-based i386 hardware, but if not, you
should look at NetBSD.

I hadn't installed it in several years, to be honest, but I found it
remarkably simple and straight-forward.

Why some find the *BSD's difficult to install, I don't quite understand,
but the most important thing is to actually RTFM.  So much technical
documentation does seem useless and irrelevant, but the related BSD
documentation for installs is nothing short of amazing.  Start by
browsing the documentation with the BSD you choose, and I think you'll
find all of them quite straight-forward.

And if you have any questions, feel free to post them to thist list.