[nycbug-talk] New to BSD (dont know which one to get)

Pete Wright pete
Tue Apr 6 11:16:08 EDT 2004

joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
><snip>
>

>>"What is BSD? If you ask a typical computer "expert," he or she is
>>likely to reply (incorrectly!) that it is "an operating system." The
>>correct answer, however, is more complex than that. BSD is -- among
>>other things -- a culture, a philosophy, and a growing collection of
>>software, most (though not all) of which is available for free and with
>>source code."
>>
>>That's my .02
>>
>>Rocket,
>>.ike
>>

>excellent point. And b/c it's a whole system, more even than a distro, you can really expect everything to work, but usually you seem to have to expect new features and capabilities to be added at a pace that might make even Debian fans impatient.

i'm not too sure about that, i guess it depends on what features you are
looking for ;^)  CARP is a pretty new feature for openBSD, and I would
not expect to see something like that in gnu/linux for some time.  and
statefull firewalls is something that is also relativly new to gnu/linux
as well.  i'm a big fan of the right tool for the right job, and
fortunatly most of the BSD's have been the right tool at the right time
for me ;)

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~