[nycbug-talk] FW: Max OS X and BSD

Trish Lynch trish
Sat Apr 10 12:05:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:

> >Then colleges of mine read that, and they come to me and say,
> >"Hey, did
> >ya hear? Apple uses FreeBSD"
> >
> >Its driving me nuts, when are people going to get things straight? Or
> >am I completely off base here?!
> >
> >-john

The straight answer is its Mach 4 with a FreeBSD/NetBSD userland, and some
FreeBSD kernel stuff ported as modules to Mach.

This then brings the comparison to NeXTStep, which was in fact Mach 3 with
a BSD4.4 userland....

so the answer is "Yes, it is a BSD relative, and shares a lot with
FreeBSD" and "Yes it is the next generation of NeXTStep, and shares a lot
of the same technology and code."

I hope this helps.

-Trish

Trish Lynch					   trish at bsdunix.net
Ecartis Core Team 			      trish at listmistress.org
EFNet IRC Operator/SysAdmin @ irc.dkom.at             AilleCat at EFNet
Key fingerprint = 781D 2B47 AA4B FC88 B919  0CD6 26B2 1D62 6FC1 FF16