[nycbug-talk] The truth about Cat6

Harold Bush theotherbush
Tue Apr 20 20:39:12 EDT 2004

Ike

I suggest that you deploy Cat5e (350MHz). This will carry 1Gb Ethernet quite
well.

IMHO 10GB (requring higher bandwidth cable) will be used mostly for
aggregating (servers to switches with 10Gb server ports and 1Gb workstation
ports); unless you're into video??  I may be pulling some Cat6e in the near
future and could perhaps provide a partial spool after the job is complete.
How much cable do you estimate that you need? If you go ahaead with Cat6/6e
you will need to terminate with Cat6 product in the workarea. I have used
Cat6/6e on a Cat 5e job to exceed the 100meter length restriction on utp
ethernet with success, although this is out of spec it tested ok (in case
your pulling a home run beyond the 100 meter).

If you need sources for (priced right quality) cable and termination product
let me know and I'll be glad to help.

BTW I strongly recommend CommScope cable and Panduit or Siemon termination
in the workarea.
(I don't want to start a Ford/Chevy debate these are my personal choices and
I acknolwedge that others prefer AMP etc.) ;-)

If you have any other questions or need assitance feel free to e-mail me
directly for a phone number.

Harold Bush
Chief Technologist
digitalBRANDS ?