[nycbug-talk] X and screen. was: BSD on a desktop

Okan Demirmen okan
Sun Aug 1 17:09:05 EDT 2004

On Sun 2004.08.01 at 07:13 -0400, michael wrote:
> on 20040731 2:04 PM pete wright had written...
>

> >hey marc,
> >    here is a dumb question...can you run say Xterm in a screen session,
> >detach the session (along with xterm) then re-attach the session
> >somewhere else and have the xterm come back.  i've tried it out, but
> >have a feeling that it's not possible or i'm missing a swtich somewhere.
> >
> >-p
> >

> Pete,
> I'm also a big fan of screen.  The 2 main situations I use it are
>
> 1.) ssh into a remote server- start a screen session - do stuff, maybe
> kick off a long compile, dettach.  I can then go to work- ssh into that
> server and reattach.  The process has been running and I can pick up
> where I left off.
>
> 2.) I was uncomfortable with running x on a workstation then walking
> away.  Anyone could kill the session and drop down to a prompt... with
> my credentials.  So, I actually use it everytime I run startx.  May
> would say a common solution would be to use a display manager like XDM,
> KDM, GDM but.. Common solutions are not always the right ones or the
> most secure ones.  I may be wrong, but, as far as I know:

and only in the spirit of alternatives, one may start x, backgrounded,
and exit from the console:

startx &
<crtl><f1>
then exit shell
<crtl><f4> or <f7> depending on your setup

okan

--
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934