[nycbug-talk] pkg_add and precompiled repositories

George Georgalis george
Fri Aug 13 20:22:04 EDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 07:41:34PM -0400, mlists at bizintegrators.com wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 03:40:38PM -0400, George Georgalis wrote:
>> I was looking at my 2Gb mirror of OpenBSD/packages/i386/ and the pkg_add
>> man and wondering about a better way.
>>
>> Apparently you can specify a URL with the pkg_add command or use the
>> environmental PKG_PATH to specify local directories (delimited by
>> double colon) to search for the package, but is there no convention to
>> specify a URL as a repository???
>
>export PKG_PATH=ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.5/packages/i386/
>pkg_add ${PKG_PATH}package-x.y.z.tgz

In that case I would just program a function or alias (new_pkg_add) that
takes $1 (package-x.y.z.tgz) to do the magic "check-n-use PKG_PATH or
execute a pkg_add $PKG_URL/$1"

it just seems like a kluge. I'm surprised it's not already worked out
that a (or several) URL can be contained in PKG_PATH. If you build on
that, to determine the most current version available, too, you've just
improved on apt-get + apt/sources.list functionality... "pkg_add xfree86"

anyone think of a reason why this wouldn't be a good patch for pkg_add?

// George

--
George Georgalis, Architect and administrator, Linux services. IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/  cell:646-331-2027  mailto:george at galis.org
Key fingerprint = 5415 2738 61CF 6AE1 E9A7  9EF0 0186 503B 9831 1631