[nycbug-talk] Re:FreeBSD Newbie

Pete Wright pete
Fri Aug 20 11:12:50 EDT 2004

freebsd wrote:

>I was told that "FreeBSD is secure out of the box" is that pretty true? Are there any major service I should turn off or on now that its "hot"

The one service I would disable right off the bat is "telnet".  You can
disable this in your /etc/inet.d file.  If you put a # in front of the
line that looks like this:

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd

then reload the inet daemon like this:

$ kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
(those are backticks)

    as root that will disable this service.  Before you do so, a little
background.  Telnet, as you know, is a program that allows you to
establish a remote shell to your Unix host.  There is a huge problem
with telnet tho, all data is sent over the network clear text.  So, when
you log into your server anyone that can see your data will be able to
see your username and passwords unencrypted.  Yikes!

    So what do you do to get around this problem, you obviously want to
still be able to remotely admin your Unix server.   SSH, the Secure
SHell, has all of the benefits of telnet expect your data is encrypted
making it harder for the Axis of Evil to sinff your data.  SSH is part
of a default FreeBSD install, I would suggest checking out these links
for more info:

http://openssh.org/
and here is a random "primer" that i got off google
http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/compsupp/Docs/ssh_primer.html
and finally from a shell
$ man ssh

    So anyway, I would become familiar with ssh before turning off
telnet; but from a security stand point that is the first thing I do
before I start setting up any Unix host.

    I hope you enjoy hacking BSD, it rocks!  There are usually helpfull
people on #nycbug on irc.freenode.net as well, so come by and chat!

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~
Pete Wright