[nycbug-talk] vpn hardware

george at galis.org george
Mon Aug 23 08:42:00 EDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:00:09PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
>On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:24:05 -0400
>michael <lists at genoverly.net> wrote:
>
>> on 20040822 1:13 AM Marc Spitzer had written...
>>
>> > 100 ipsec vpn tunnels for about $250/box new
>> >
>> > http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVL328.php
>> >
>> > I have just read the specks on this one though.
>> > And there are some mighty stupid idiots out there,
>> >

>> I am one of them.. what did you mean?
>> Michael
>
>Sorry for not getting back to you sooner about this.
>
>What happened was I was short on sleep and thought there was a part of
>the original message that said/implied that the was a requirement for a
>bit of user protection/simplicity of use for this project and was just
>commenting on the fact that nature always beats engineers in this
>regard, it comes out better when I am well rested.  So no you are not an
>idiot but in this case I appear to have been one, see I was right after
>all, and no insult/dig intended to anyone.

I can't make a lot of sense from that paragraph. But I appreciate the
hardware config is as simple as password and network entry, and the
software client is almost as simple. In addition to the Netgear FVL328
(and FR328S, FVS318), I'm looking at the Linksys BEFVP41 and RV042.

In several shops, I've seen 'black box' (Soekris like) dedicated
hardware; thought I'd be going with one of them and didn't realize the
big names packaged VPN in their soho cases.

...this one is not an option for me...

http://www.itsecurity.com/products/prod185.htm
Fortress VPN-100 4.0 $45,995 70Mbps

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org