[nycbug-talk] FreeBSD ISO's

Pete Wright pete
Tue Aug 24 17:06:15 EDT 2004

freebsd wrote:

>Yeah 4.10, I just assume that 4.10 and 4.1 are the same thing, are they not? In decimals don't you always drop the trailing zero? The next release from 4.10 or 4.1 is 4.11 right? Are you thinking of 4.01? What do you mean when you refer to a branch?
>
>Jerry

Here is a good link that should explain the naming conventions with FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/introduction.html#LATEST-VERSION

Quickly, the naming convention is that the code base is version 4 and
the revision number is 11, meaning that there have been 11 updates to
the 4 code base.  So there has been 4.1 4.2...4.9 4.10 4.11  This is
similar to the linux kernel (2.4.0, 2.4.1...2.4.24 etc.).  So the
numbers after the "dot" are infact not decimals when refering to releases.

So no I'm not thinking of 4.01 ;)

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~