[nycbug-talk] OpenBSD - Serial Port Configuration

mlists at bizintegrators.com mlists
Tue Aug 24 22:01:53 EDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:04:51PM -0400, Kliment Andreev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old laptop with OpenBSD installed. Recently, I hooked an
> external modem USR56K but I am having a problem to configure it.
> Here is my output:
>
> thinkpad# dmesg | grep ast0
> ast0 at isa0 port 0x1a0/32 irq 5
> pccom3 at ast0 slave 0: ns8250, no fifo
> pccom4 at ast0 slave 1: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
> com at ast0 slave 2 not configured
> com at ast0 slave 3 not configured

Can you provide entire dmesg?

> I assume that pccom4 is the internal modem. There is no way to disable
> it thru BIOS. It seems that my external one is not recognized.
> If I do # cu -l /dev/cua0X (x=01,2,) I got Device not configured, link
> down message.
> But if I # cu -l /dev/cua03 then I got Connected message. There is no
> echo, and no response if I type ATDT2012012212 so I assume that this is
> the internal WinModem. My question is what's the difference between
> "com" and "pccom" and how can I configure those slave2 and 3 that are
> not configured.

On some architectures it is pccom, on some com, otherwise they are the
same thing. You are actually not suppose to see both..although ast is
a multiplexor, so who knows..