[nycbug-talk] null modem vendor...

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Aug 27 14:05:19 EDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Dave Steinberg wrote:

>> You can make whatever you need quite cheaply with this stuff:
>>
>> http://www.national-tech.com/catalog/modularadaptors.htm
>>
>> Great source if you're building a console server. :)
>
> Cheap, sure... but its so hard!  Assuming I've done my homework and I know
> the pinouts on both sides, how do I map the cable colors to pin locations?  I
> certainly can't see inside that little hood that encloses the rj-45 adapter.
> :-/

Sure you can!  The DB9 end comes out and you can look down into the hood
and see what's what.  Write it down once and you're all set.  Once you
have your pinouts set, these can be put together very quickly - there's no
soldering, just jam the pins into the db9 end and snap it back together.
The DB9 end does have numbers that correspond to the pins...

Charles