[nycbug-talk] the case for a BSD Certification

G. Rosamond george
Mon Dec 6 09:46:19 EST 2004

This Register.com article leads me to some interesting conclusions:

http://www.theregister.com/2004/12/06/linux_economic_realities/

There have been a number of Linux-related certs, most importantly the
RedHat one.

But we're fortunate that a single BSD cert is more easily created, as
we don't have huge multinationals backing one project versus another.
If a BSD cert was created, it could be done in the interests of the
technology in general, without spawning competition from other
entities.  One of the benefits of not having competing corporate
entities or distros in the mix.

We would obviously want to be as inclusive as possible, particularly in
the beginning, for all the projects. . . from Free, Net, Open and
DragonFly.

I am thinking about starting up a mailman list for the topic.  Dru,
Ike, myself and many others have been involved in discussions on this
matter haphazardly. . . it may be time to jump start the project in
January.

We should probably implement an accompanying Wiki for it, as it is a
cumulative-type project.  Next stage is to pull in others outside of
NYC*BUG, particularly critical individuals at each project and at
Yahoo, Pair, etc.

Thoughts?  We should probably have a volunteer to oversee the tech end
of things for the wiki, list, documentation.