[nycbug-talk] Holiday Party

G. Rosamond george
Wed Dec 8 14:30:19 EST 2004

On Dec 8, 2004, at 2:10 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 09:10:10AM -0500, Sunny Dubey wrote:
>> On Wednesday 08 December 2004 00:06, G. Rosamond wrote:
>>
>>> The RSVP list is stunning, to say the least.
>>> Name the big firm in NYC and there are technology people from it.
>>> From
>>> AT&T, IBM, AIG, Goldman, and so on.  It looks like we're getting the
>>> 'best and the brightest' at the event.
>>
>> *cough*
>>
>> Since when did people from big firms become intelligent ?  I can
>> think of lots
>> of hopelessly stupid-beyond-belief people working at big
>> companies/firms/etc.
>> And with the same token I can think of lots of very intelligent people
>> working at small firms/SMB's/etc.
>
> I agree with you here sunny, altho there is something to be said for
> meeting and opening up communications with people that work at large
> firms.  they do bring something different to the table.  i've also got
> to say that i've seen my fair share of boneheaded SMB
> admins/programmers
> in my day as well.  so as the saying goes...size doesn't always matter
> ;p

There are boneheads everywhere.  There's no question about that.

But for the sponsors, they are certainly interested in the big name
firms, as they are contacted to larger budgets.  That was the point
Sunny.  Not skill levels implied.

>> Most of the folks of NYCBUG aren't from big firms, yet I could easily
>> hold
>> them to a higher light than some mindless sysadmin from a Wall St.
>> corp.
>
> that's actually an interesting point, altho i wounder if it's true or
> not?  i can think of a couple posters on talk@ that are definatly not
> from what i'd consider SMB's.

Who knows.  Mindless speculation, IMO.

>> Its not a question of being anti-large corporations.  Rather its
>> about setting
>> the right tone for this party, keeping things in perspective, and not
>> engaging in meaningless amounts of professionalism.
>>
> here here, altho i'm going to miss it....

That's undeniable.  But when you move back to NYC. . .