[nycbug-talk] RAID anyone?

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Dec 10 13:53:03 EST 2004

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> This came out yesterday.  It's how I got my development box (the on
> that houses the beta sites for FreshPorts, FreeBSDDiary, FreshSource,
> etc):
>
>   http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a//bsd/2004/12/09/raid.html

For the record I just built a box with a 3Ware 8506-4LP.  So far so good.
There are a few cosmetic issues with the driver, but performance has been
great, and the price point is decent:

-$300 - 4 port SATA RAID controller
-$200 - 2xSeagate 160GB SATA drives ("real" SATA, not a bridge chip)

I'm putting together another soon with the same controller and 4 drives.
I'm staying away from RAID 5 since it's kind of slow, and drives are dirt
cheap.  $700 for a third of a terabyte of relatively fast, mirrored
storage is a great deal.

Charles