[nycbug-talk] choosing an amd box

George Georgalis george
Sun Dec 12 17:37:21 EST 2004

I was looking to put together an amd 64 box and realized they have
several models, I thought there was one AMD64 (Opteron), but it looks
like 4:

 ATHLON 64 CPU SOCKET 754
 ATHLON 64 FX CPU
 OPTERON CPU
 ATHLON 64 CPU SOCKET 939

The box (Shuttle) I want to put it in only seems to support socket 754

So, with Opteron and FX out
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869,00.html

I'm now deciding to go with Athlon 64 or Athlon XP.
http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=476
http://us.shuttle.com/specs_access.asp?pro_id=489

comparing Mhz to $$$ Athlon 64 is a better value.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010423
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=010413
(it's a moving target but that seems the best vendor at the moment)

and it looks like:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ Processor Socket 754, 512KB @ $220.00
on the Shuttle SK83G.

Does this look like a good choice? Have I missed something?

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org