[nycbug-talk] It's lonely up here

Jonathan Franks jfranks214
Thu Dec 16 20:16:09 EST 2004

Hey thanks for the advice. It appears that Albany does indeed have
craigslist... and it's new. Imagine the luck.

See now, I asked a simple question and now look what I've gotten myself
into!  :-)

Frankly, I never expected to become an "organizer" but what the heck? I'm
already thinking of where on earth we could meet. It also seems like
"Capital District *BSD Users Group"  (CDBUG ? ) might be more inclusive, as
we have three cities (Albany, Schenectady, Troy) right in the vicinity, and
rural areas abound...

I think that this needs to happen, though, so why not.

G - I'll take you up on the mailing list.

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc Spitzer [mailto:mspitzer at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2004 7:44 PM
To: Jonathan Franks
Cc: NYC-BUG talk
Subject: Re: [nycbug-talk] It's lonely up here

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:19:08 -0500, Jonathan Franks
<jfranks214 at taconic.net> wrote:
> Absolutely. What do I need to do?
>
> I had thought about trying to start one up, but decided "Oh, I just don't
> know where to begin..."

>From my experience helping to get lispnyc started, do the following:

on bsd/unix/linux  newsgroups/mailing lists send out a message that
there will be a meeting of the  albany BSD users group on (date here)
and (time here) at (place here)

put some more stuff here about what is going to happen, we are
drinking or PF/CARP talk and then we are drinking. ...

be prepaired to do this annouincement/setup meeting stuff for at least
3 months.  By then you might have some help.  and get the word out
locally, does albany have craigslist?

you just might be supprised at the turn out.  And as stated below a
mailing list is most important.

marc