[nycbug-talk] the case for a BSD Certification

Okan Demirmen okan
Fri Dec 17 10:41:44 EST 2004

On Mon 2004.12.06 at 09:46 -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:
> This Register.com article leads me to some interesting conclusions:
>
> http://www.theregister.com/2004/12/06/linux_economic_realities/
>
> There have been a number of Linux-related certs, most importantly the
> RedHat one.
>
> But we're fortunate that a single BSD cert is more easily created, as
> we don't have huge multinationals backing one project versus another.
> If a BSD cert was created, it could be done in the interests of the
> technology in general, without spawning competition from other
> entities.  One of the benefits of not having competing corporate
> entities or distros in the mix.
>
> We would obviously want to be as inclusive as possible, particularly in
> the beginning, for all the projects. . . from Free, Net, Open and
> DragonFly.
>
> I am thinking about starting up a mailman list for the topic.  Dru,
> Ike, myself and many others have been involved in discussions on this
> matter haphazardly. . . it may be time to jump start the project in
> January.
>
> We should probably implement an accompanying Wiki for it, as it is a
> cumulative-type project.  Next stage is to pull in others outside of
> NYC*BUG, particularly critical individuals at each project and at
> Yahoo, Pair, etc.
>
> Thoughts?  We should probably have a volunteer to oversee the tech end
> of things for the wiki, list, documentation.

George, et all,

I think this is a good idea. I realize that it will take a long
long time before any BSD cert is taken seriously by employers,
however it has to start sometime/somewhere.

In a world where *BSD is used in the majority of network appliances,
giving those organizations some more HR tools would be smart.
Speaking of which, I am now seeing those companies, who shall remain
nameless for now, feel as if they have come in, defending their
*BSD choice. Not that anyone should care (we don't), for they are
sold as "black boxes" with management interfaces.  As far as full
BSD systems (Open, Net, Free, Dragon), it would be interesting what
consulting firms could/would do with *BSD certs. (Yes, we live in
an ugly corporate world.)

Getting off point, my point is that slipping *BSD certs into the
industry may be one factor in reassuring the industry that *BSD is
still here, strong and ever evolving.

What can we do to help?

Okan

Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>
PGP-Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB3670934
PGP-Fingerprint: 226D B4AE 78A9 7F4E CD2B 1B44 C281 AF18 B367 0934