[nycbug-talk] party +

Bob Ippolito bob
Fri Dec 17 11:12:09 EST 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 11:00 AM, Okan Demirmen wrote:

> Second, I was talking to a few people about a few things that made
> people look at me like I was nuts (maybe I am/was). Unfortunately,
> I don't remember their names, so I thought I'd drop a link to one
> of the topics that got me odd looks - CLI (not command line interface),
> but common language infrastructure. To take it further (yes I said
> this), you can also see what Microsoft is going with their rendition,
> CLR.  I'll spare the details for this list, but drop at least a
> link in:
>
> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm
>
> Then you can take this a step further into virtual environments and
> see where this may lead us one day. (Hello EMC?)

The CLI isn't a very big step beyond where the JVM already is...  It's
been proven several times over that the JVM is at least nearly as
capable of providing a runtime for alternative languages (Jython,
Groovy, etc.).

The CLI and JVM both have sandboxing features, but they're not really
the same sort of thing that is provided by the kernel.

-bob