[nycbug-talk] the case for a BSD Certification

G. Rosamond george
Sat Dec 18 11:53:18 EST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Dru wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, G. Rosamond wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Majority of network appliances?  Woah.  I can name a lot (Borderware
>> fw, CheckPoint Nokia, some Snap servers), but majority?  That would
>> be significant.
>

> Just as a point of interest, Checkpoint Nokia is transitioning their
> appliances from an ancient version of FreeBSD to RedHat. Guess what
> two of the reasons cited for the switch were? RedHat provides both
> support and an educational certification.

My first point was I don't think they are the majority of appliances
are a BSD.

Checkpoint moving to RedHat.  It actually makes sense.  Support and
development are strong.  Despite the ire they receive from sections of
the open source movement.

> <snip again>
>

>> I'll setup a list later, but I think it would be a good idea to get
>> the wiki up somewhere first. .. with passwd protection for editing
>> rights.
>

> Does anyone have any experience with twiki (twiki.org)? From the
> description it sounds pretty good...

It's the way. . . we need a box for it at this point. . .