[nycbug-talk] Multi OS setups

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Mon Dec 27 10:53:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 10:36:31 -0500 (EST), Francisco Reyes
<lists at natserv.com> wrote:
> I have always wanted to try other BSDs besides FreeBSD, but lacked the
> hardware.
>
> Got myself a 3 HD machine and would like suggestions on multi OS setups.
> In particular I think I want from the get go FreeBSD, Windows XP, Windows
> 2000.

beware multibooting can be a royal PITA, especialy if you keep playing with
the installed OS's

> Then, would like to try NetBSD, OpenBSD, some sort of Linux (never
> installed Linux at all, not even to see how it's like) and possibly one or
> both of the FreeBSD offshoots out there.
>
> Any suggestions?

take all of the hard drives out of the box and buy one of those ide
disk caddy things and 3 cases for the hard drives.  put what you want
on each and swap them out as needed.  And if you want to play with
more os's just buy some more hard drives and go for it.  Also there is
the VMWare aproach but I have not played with it much.

> I was thinking to use the first drive for Win XP, FreeBSD.
> Second drive Win 2K and backup drive for the first.
> Third drive fully for testing.

be very careful here, you can easly hose production data(ok your
important stuff) here.

Good luck,

marc