[nycbug-talk] NYCBUG LIbrary

Pete Wright pete
Mon Feb 2 10:07:04 EST 2004

michael wrote:

>ALL,
>
>O'Reilly would like to welcome NYCBUG to their User Group program and has released their first title for our review.   While only one was directly BSD related, it was still a very generous gesture.
>
>All books in our 'Library',  are available for any member to 'check-out'.  In return, it would be nice to have a written review.
>
>The Complete FreeBSD, 4th Edition
>Documentation from the Source
>By Greg Lehey
>April 2003
>ISBN: 0-596-00516-4
>
>This new edition, covering version 5 of FreeBSD, is now available through O'Reilly Community Press. It is an eminently practical guidebook that explains not only how to get a computer up and running with the FreeBSD operating system, but also how to turn it into a highly functional and secure server that can host large numbers of users and disks, support remote access, and provide web service, mail service, and other key parts of the Internet infrastructure
>

>Linux Security Cookbook
>By Daniel J. Barrett, Richard Silverman, Robert G. Byrnes
>June 2003
>ISBN: 0-596-00391-9
>
>The Linux Security Cookbook includes real solutions to a wide range of targeted problems, such as sending encrypted email within Emacs, restricting access to network services at particular times of day, firewalling a webserver, preventing IP spoofing, setting up key-based SSH authentication, and much more. With over 150 ready-to-use scripts and configuration files, this unique book helps administrators secure their systems without having to look up specific syntax.
>

>The NYCBUG Library messages will continue to be sent to the list until the Library web pages are finished.
>Michael

i actually pre-ordered "The Complete FreeBSD, 4th ed." and I've gotta
say the book is great!  Is that too short of a review ;)  I will
actaully try to make a more comprehensive review based on my experience
integrating FreeBSD into our network, and how this volume has helped me
in doing that.  So, should these reviews be written in Abiword and sent
as an attachment to the list, or would you all rather have them sent
inline via email?

cheers,
    -pete

--