[nycbug-talk] irc server

Pete Wright pete
Wed Feb 11 09:23:51 EST 2004

Ray wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 06:00:40PM -0800, Gerald wrote:
>

>> Why do so few people delve in to silc instead of IRC?
>>

> That's not a bad idea.  I've been wanting to try this out for a
> while.  This would be the perfect excuse for me to try it out.
>

>> Not that a public channel like nycbug would have any secure
>> conversations.
>>

> Does it matter?  If it were up to me, everything would be
> encrypted--PGP/GPG encrypted E-mail, https all the time, sftp, etc.
> I don't see why we should only encrypt ``sensitive'' data--why
> should we give crackers such a limited set of data to work on?
>

>> I'm personally surprised that more people don't use silc.
>

> As am I, though the major reason is probably a lack of applications.
>
> -Ray-

on a sort of related side note, has anyone here played with jabber?
i've got a little dev server on one of my boxen that i use, it supports
SSL and all that.  it's also very extensible (you can hook jabber into a
voice system for example).  anyway if anyone is interested in using this
instead of AIM or ICQ or what ever i'd suggest checking it out(i also
believe there are chat room type functions altho i havn't check that out
yet).  it's open source, and there are ample *nix, mac and win clients
out there.

-pete

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~