[nycbug-talk] update on upgrade from 5.1 -> 5.2

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Feb 11 17:02:54 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 01:46:36PM -0800, Gerald wrote:

> --- Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:
> > However, as I said there were a few mentions on
> > google about it, and one
> > suggestion was, if this happened, to put in the CD
> > and choose upgrade. I
> > did so, and that worked, which saved me a few hours
> > work.
> >
> > Odd that the theoretically less safe binary upgrade
> > worked.
>
> We upgraded some 2.2.7 machines when I first got here
> up to 4.x by making backups of /etc and
> /usr/local/etc/* and doing binary upgrades.
>
> In my limited experience, any major revision jumps are
> easier on binary upgrades from CD with good backups.
>
> I shudder to think what 2.2.7 to 4.X would have been
> like with buildworld && kernel && install...etc.

Heh, yeah, so do I. Actually, I didn't expect 5.1 to 5.2 to be major.
Well, I learned something, and didn't even lose much time.  Certainly a
LOT less major than 2.x to 4.x.  That one would have had me sweating.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

Buffy: Oh, no... I have to go take an English make-up exam.
They give you credit just for speaking it, right?