[nycbug-talk] RE: Close port with no direction to open. Help!!!

Jan Schaumann jschauma
Mon Feb 16 11:20:05 EST 2004

"Rodrick R. Brown" <rbrown at rodrickbrown.com> wrote:

> Try the following
>
> perl -p -i.bak -e 's/^#pop3/pop3/' /etc/services
>
> restart inetd

I'm not sure I understand your advise correctly, but making a change to
/etc/services and then restarting inetd... that would assume that the OP
has already uncommented the service in /etc/inetd.conf and the only
reason it's not working is due to inetd not being able to resolve the
port number from the service name.

To the OP: install the pop3 daemon of your choice, then read its
documentation.  I don't know FreeBSD, does it come with a pop3 daemon as
part of the base install?

Often pop3 is run from inetd, so adding the proper line to
/etc/inetd.conf (and then making sure the correct port<->name mapping is
not uncommented in /etc/services (though I don't know why pop3 would be
commented in there)) and restarting inetd should get you into business.

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/pkg/libexec/popa3d popa3d

might be an appropriate example line for /etc/inetd.conf.

As I said, consult the documentation of your pop3 daemon for details.

-Jan

--
Information wants to be free.