[nycbug-talk] RE: Close port with no direction to open. Help!!!

Kevin Reiter bsd
Mon Feb 16 11:41:51 EST 2004

If you're using qmail (since I don't know which MTA you plan on/are using,)
it's recommended to also install daemontools
(/usr/potrs/mail/daemontools-xxx) which will handle starting/stopping
qmail-smtpd and qmail-pop3d.  If you do, you shouldn't need to modify
/etc/services or /etc/inetd.conf at all.  If you're using that host as a
firewall as well, you'll need to allow all traffic on 25 and 110 on the
external interface through.  If this is a standalone box behind a firewall,
you'll ned to route all traffic on ports 25 and 110 to the host running the
MTA using natd on the firewall/router (if it's FreeBSD/*nix.)

I don't know how the install of FreeBSD was done, therefore I can't tell you
where the problem lies, as there's a choice during install time to use inetd
or not.

Please provide more information on the machine as well as which MTA you plan
on/are using, and if it's behind a firewall or not.

Kevin