[nycbug-talk] list protocol. . .

Scott Robbins scottro
Wed Feb 18 09:20:49 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 09:05:45AM -0500, G. Rosamond wrote:

> ->> 3.  and on a more general NYCbug (yes, nice) level, RTFM
> ->(read the f'g
> ->> manual) is an inappropriate response to anyone.  this list
> ->is open to
> ->> all, and part of nycbug's goal is to provide a bridge to newer *BSD
> ->> users.  if something is obvious to a responder who has some
> ->decades of
> ->> bsd experience, then please provide a link to online
> ->documentation to
> ->> help enlighten the poster.
> ->
> ->I have found that this helps people become
> ->competent much quicker because they are learning how to
> ->interact with the system in a productive manner so as new
> ->problems come up they have a procedure in place to solve them
> ->instead of continually asking for help and when they do need
> ->to ask for help they ask better questions.  This gives them
> ->better and faster answers so everybody wins.
>
> i strongly disagree. . .man man is no different than saying RTFM.  if we
> want nycbug to be a bridge, we can't charge a toll.
>
> that's funny in some ways, but the reality is that no one should panic
> about inquiring about "stupid questions" on this list.

I think that it's reasonable to say to someone, try man <command> and if
you can't really understand, don't panic, just come back and ask.

#freebsd on undernet.org can be a harsh channel, but I've never yet seen
someone castigated if they say, I looked at the man page but don't
understand this part.

--

Scott

GPG KeyID EB3467D6
( 1B848 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6)

 Giles: This one?
 Buffy: Amethyst.
 Giles: Used for?
 Buffy: Breath mints?
 Giles: Charm bags, money spells and for cleansing one's aura.
 Buffy: Okay, so how do you know if one's aura's dirty? Somebody
comes by with a finger and writes 'wash me' on it?