[nycbug-talk] FW: [nylug-talk] Laptop purchase

G. Rosamond george
Tue Jan 6 22:49:26 EST 2004

from the NY Linux User Group (nylug.org) mailing list.

i've heard much more convincing arguments against apple laptops than
this.

i can think of a number of reasons why apple are preferable, most
importantly the core os.  in addition is usability, security,
performance and that apple software is made for the hardware, and vice
versa, unlike the rest of us losers hacking *bsd on
intel-made-for-windows laptops.

thoughts?

-----Original Message-----
From: nylug-talk-bounces at nylug.org [mailto:nylug-talk-bounces at nylug.org]
On Behalf Of Sunny Dubey
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 10:45 PM
To: NYLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [nylug-talk] Laptop purchase

On Tuesday 06 January 2004 09:09 am, Henning Follmann wrote:

> > First:  Anyone who tells you to get an ibook/powermac needs to be
> > punched in the face.  'Nuff said.
>
> OK then hit me.
> I recently bought the Al Book 15". And it's good linux hardware!
> Though some knowledge required.

Well, I dislike Apple laptops for a few reasons.

First is the fact that when you choose to buy into apple, you're given
such a
limited choice of laptops to buy from.  Where as x86 laptops can have
super-packed/full-features ones (fujitsu lifebook), super sturdy ones
(panasonic?), laptops with too many damn features (generic Sager ones,
comes
with a built in TV tuner! go figure), basically the list is endless
while's
apple's is highly limited (duh)

Secondly, my girlfriend has an apple, so here comes some more bias.
Their
support tends to suck IMO (I don't know about most people, but my
girlfriend
had to send in her laptop and wait 2 weeks for the problem to be
diagnosed,
and fixed).  Additionally, visiting the "Genius Bar" in their SoHo store

tends to be a big waste of time.

Thirdly, can someone tell me why I need to pay an arm and a leg for a
simple
cable/accessory/etc ?  All laptop companies charge at least an arm for
even a
screw, or even a piece of plastic ... but somehow the Apple prices
always
seem to come out higher.

Lastly, and clearly the most important.  (I hate to sound like an
elitist
prick ... buuuttt .... )  I'm part of that intelligent 5% that uses the
second mouse button.  In fact, the more I think about it, the more I
realize
how I can't live without it.  Being that my books + laptop + lunch +
bowling
balls are heavy enough, I really don't feel like carrying a stupid mouse
when
my laptop should clearly come with two buttons and a partridge in a pear

tree.

HOWEVER!!!  The day that Apple can get a sweet IBM PPC970 CPU on a
laptop is
the day when all of the above doesn't matter :^)

As much as I love AMD and desperately want an AMD64 machine of my own, I
can't
even imagine them being power efficient in an effective manner.  So far
the
few AMD64 laptop reviews haven't spoken all that greatly about the new
power
management scheme.  Its still too early to tell however ... I'm sure
AMD's
alpha team can figure out something much better (and much better ODM's
can
make AMD64 laptops)

Sunny Dubey

To subscribe or unsubscribe: