[nycbug-talk] FW: daemon logo

G. Rosamond george
Wed Jan 7 12:05:03 EST 2004

done. . .

-----Original Message-----
From: Kirk McKusick [mailto:mckusick at beastie.mckusick.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 2:43 AM
To: george at sddi.net
Subject: Re: daemon logo

	From: <George at nycbug.org>
	Sender: "G. Rosamond" <george at sddi.net>
	To: <mckusick at mckusick.com>
	Subject: daemon logo
	Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 22:41:39 -0500

	greetings marshall

	we are starting up a bsd user group in nyc.  one of the
	members had more graphically inclined individual "create"
	a logo for the group.  it seems like it's one of your daemons
	and added an apple to the pitchfork (no, it's not an anti-mac
	comment).

	please check out www.nycbug.org and tell me how you feel.
	there is a link to your site in the links section.  should
	we add your copyright commentary.

	it would be no hassle for us, but we all do respect you and
	your efforts to protect the daemon from the real devils in
	the world.

	thanks

	george
	george at nycbug.org

I prefer that the BSD Daemon be used in the context of BSD software.
Clearly your usage qualifies. The only change that I request is that you
add a link from the daemon picture to my copyright notice as described
in the usage policy below.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Statement on the Use of the BSD Daemon Figure:

The BSD Daemon is to be used in the context of BSD software. So, if you
are using BSD software (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, or BSD utilities) in
your Intranet environment, then use of the daemon is appropriate. If you
are a Microsoft or Linux shop, then it is not appropriate.

Individuals may use the daemon for their personal use within the bounds
of good taste (an example of bad taste was a picture of the BSD daemon
blowtorching a Solaris logo). When reasonably possible, I would like the
text ``BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick. All Rights
Reserved.'' to be included.  This text need not be etched into the
figure or garishly displayed when using the daemon as say an Icon in a
Web window. A good example of how to handle the due credit in a web page
is to create a link from the daemon picture to the following text:

	BSD Daemon Copyright 1988 by Marshall Kirk McKusick.
	All Rights Reserved.

	Permission to use the daemon may be obtained from:
		Marshall Kirk McKusick
		1614 Oxford St
		Berkeley, CA 94709-1608
		USA
	or via email at mckusick at mckusick.com

If you are looking for daemon images or daemon shirts, a pictorial
history of the daemon and daemon shirts are available at my site,
http://www.mckusick.com/beastie/. If you are looking for daemon badges,
see the site at http://www.scotgold.com/Daemon.htm). For other
paraphanalia, see the site at http://www.freebsdmall.com/promotional/).

If you want to mass produce the daemon on Tshirts, CDROM's, or other
products you need to request permission in advance. In general, I
require that the daemon be used in an appropriate way. This means that
it has to be something related to BSD and not expropriated as a company
logo (though I do allow companies with BSD-based products such as
FreeBSD Mall or Daemon News to use it).  I regret having to be so
legalistic about the daemon, but I almost lost the daemon to a certain
large company because I failed to show due diligence in protecting it.
So, I've taken due diligence seriously since then.

	Marshall Kirk McKusick